US Episcopal Church Loses Nearly 35,000 Members in 1 Year [ChristianPost]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Dec 11, 2017.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

US Episcopal Church Loses Nearly 35,000 Members in 1 Year

By Anugrah Kumar , Christian Post Contributor | Sep 23, 2017 9:27 AM

img.jpg

The Episcopal Church in the U.S. lost nearly 35,000 members last year, according to figures released this week by the denomination which has been on a decline for about a decade.

The number of active members of TEC decreased by 34,179 in 2016, according to thestatistics released. In 2015, the denomination lost 37,669 members. The average Sunday worship attendance also decreased by 9,327 last year.

"The 2016 data reflects a continuation of recent trends, although rates of decline in such key figures as Average Sunday Attendance have decreased," Canon Michael Barlowe, executive officer of TEC's general convention, says in the report.

However, the figures note that the rate of decline is slowing, and, "Overall, congregational income through pledges and other offerings has remained constant."

Over the last 10 years, the average Sunday attendance has fallen by a quarter, leading to the closing down of 37 parishes in the last year. TEC now has 6,473 congregations across the country.

One factor in the decline was the liberal theological direction of the denomination, including its growing acceptance of homosexuality and gay marriage. In 2003, when it appointed its first openly gay bishop, the Rev. Gene Robinson, scores of congregations left the denomination.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    https://www.christianpost.com/news/us-episcopal-church-loses-nearly-35000-members-in-1-year-200255/

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    No surprise here!

Anglican04 likes this.
  3. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Since they gave up the will of the Holy Ghost, I knew it was a matter of time before they'd give up their own ghost.

Anglican04 likes this.
  4. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Do I look surprised? I think I would be if they reported growth at TEC.

Plus, the pic of all those women in charge as "priests". Hmm, wonder if there is a relationship here.

anglican74 likes this.
  5. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    It sort of surprises me. Considering how liberal America has become, I figured the only direction TEC could go was up.

6. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

I would venture that this was TEC's bet as well. Escpecially in terms of validating "gay marriage". But overall the more one liberal/left one is, the less likely they are to be religious. I guess they overlooked that relationship. Once the church stops teaching truth is true and is beholden to the culture, then what need is the church? Worldly culture is far more fun and teaches the same. Might as well just sleep in on Sunday.

Aidan and Tuxedo America like this.
  7. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    They appear to be "deacons"

Tuxedo America likes this.
  8. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    That's what I thought. The sashes caught my eye.

9. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    [​IMG]
    mama needs her merlot

Aidan likes this.
  10. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

Welp. TEC body has failed many members and calling themselves "Anglican" is a disgrace to orthodox Anglicanism, quite frankly, to Christianity as a whole. It must be made clear I am bashing the clergy in TEC and not it's members because we still have a few good folks. I have no ACNA parishes near me so I will probably end up attending a Roman Catholic mass because even though the pope can be a pain, it's better then being outnumbered and being called homophobic by lesbians and transgenders (did I mention heretics?). Sigh...

11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Have you considered the Traditional Latin Mass?

12. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Hilarious Cameron

Cameron likes this.
  13. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Yes, I've also been struggling to find an Anglican parish myself. While TEC is the most established in the U.S., in addition to the ACNA there are also other Anglican bodies out there including the Reformed Episcopal Church, Anglican Catholic Church, etc.. It may help to broaden your search.

I've tried going to Catholic masses recently and have found myself to really connect with them. I feel that they are lacking in the beauty I've come to experience with Anglican worship. I did attend a Latin Mass and found it unapproachable. Also, as a non-Catholic I can't receive communion so while I don't mind going a few weeks without communion, but it's ultimately unfulfilling.

But, there are a number of us in a similar spots trying to land in a good and faithful Anglican home.

Anglican04 likes this.
  14. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

I'm sensing a pattern here
    [​IMG]

Cameron likes this.
  15. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Ide, what do you mean by you find Latin Mass "unapproachable "?

16. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    If you're ever in the area stop into St Mark's. Proper Anglo-Catholic. If you can find and Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest, they are known all around for their liturgical beauty and attention to detail. Same for the Canons of St John Cantius, who offer the vernacular and Latin Mass. Beautiful choirs and music, prose, and text.

Also - any Mass offered according to Divine Worship - the Missal, is basically Common Prayer.

17. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I basically agree, the Roman version of Catholicism has basically eviscerated a reverent liturgy during the last sixty years, and it is very very hard and very very rare (almost impossible) to find a vernacular Roman Mass that is Godly and reverent, which is quite different from the situation with the Anglican divine services

18. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to St. Mark's- that is actually in my region. It looks like a beautiful and Godly parish. Maybe I will have a chance to stop by one day. I feel a deep connection with the BCP and Anglican approach to worship. Though I prefer a High Church style, I've come to enjoy the low church approach as well. But we don't have anything like St. Mark's in my area, unfortunately.

I should clarify as I had a typo in my sentence: "I've tried going to Catholic masses recently and have yet to find myself to really connect with them. I feel that they are lacking in the beauty I've come to experience with Anglican worship. "

By that, I mean I've not really found myself drawn to the worship in a RC church under the current style. I've attended RC masses over the years with relatives in different states and haven't found I've changed my opinion much. However, I've been attending a Eucharistic adoration at a RC church and that has been a great experience during Advent.

19. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

By that I mean while I enjoyed the reverence, quiet, and solemnity of the service, I felt like a spectator at an event. I did not have an issue with the priest facing away and the language being in Latin (I've participated in religious ceremonies in non-English languages before), but I literally did nothing but sit and watch. The congregation only said a few lines throughout the entire service and moved from kneeling, to standing to sitting. That was about it. It was a liturgy, however, it was not the work of the people, but of the priest alone. That was made it feel unapproachable. I am all for solemn, traditional services but that approach was not very edifying.

anglican74 likes this.
  20. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I think what Ide and I are trying to say is, it should not be up to us to judge anyone's heart or intentions... we can only see the objective outward reality, which is very difficult to accept for a faithful orthodox Christian

For example, Nestorius was considered a heretic in ancient times as you may know. But did you know that on the moral aspect he was considered one of the holiest men of his day, not much less than even St. Anthony himself?

So suppose he walked up to you and said, look, I know you guys think my ideas look wrong, but I have been a humble monk my whole life (he was), and my character has been esteemed by all the great Church Fathers (his was!), and I only want the holiest suggestion here, that comes from the deepest, best-intentioned part of my heart...