Do you have a home altar/sacred corner?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Dallas Rivera, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Dallas Rivera

Dallas Rivera New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Being Catholic, I have a rosary, prayer book, a cross, a mary figurine, a Christ Pantocrator, Sacred Heart of Jesus candle, Our Lady of Guadalupe candle, a Christ the King icon, and an LED candle. Do you Anglicans have a Sacred space in your house? If so what items do you have in it?

2. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I would like to, personally, but right now it's more a corner of my desk.

AnglicanTex likes this.
  3. Dallas Rivera

Dallas Rivera New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Catholic
    haha

4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    When I was Orthodox, I had an icon corner. In the past I had a crucifix, with statuettes of Mary and Joseph, as well as candles and a prayer book. At present, just a crucifix by my desk, and a crucifix and picture of Mary over my bed.

Tom likes this.
  5. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    I have a small table that I have set up with a green table cloth for a frontal and a white linen tablecloth for my altar cloth. I have two small taper candles and a crucifix with St. Mary and St. John next to it. I use it primarily for saying the daily office, but it is useful for most any pursuit that is religious. At least for me, it helps in meditation and focus.

6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Sounds eautiful

7. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have a crucifix directly in front of my bed. I see it when I lie down and when I rise up. There is space in front to kneel on the well appointed rug. I will have some icons eventually. And I have a lantern that will take a votive candle or tealight for which I am going to install a bracket on the wall.

One day recently my older daughter came in the room and was sitting on my bed looking at the crucifix -she is two. She began asking me about the five wounds of Christ! From time to time, she will produce a moment that refocuses me on the faith of children: "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Indeed, they hear and recall more than we realize.

8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    It's a great responsibility and privilege to be a father. Leading by example is crucial

DivineOfficeNerd and Shane R like this.
  9. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My wife is Byzantine Catholic, and we have icons about the house, but we don't have a home altar/sacred corner.

I have a chair in a corner by the window that I sit in to have Morning and Evening Prayers. The 1928 BCP remains there when not otherwise in use, along with a bible. It's part of being intentional about my time. My kids know not to disturb me when I am there, but stand at a distance if they really need me and wait for me to acknowledge them. They are welcome to join me in prayer, but are also (hopefully) also seeing that it is important to have your own time alone in prayer.

Aidan likes this.
  10. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I have statuettes of the Sacred Heart and Our Lady of Fatima with the little shepherds. Also a Celtic Cross and a tea candle light

11. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    I just carved out a space in my study that contains an incence burner, two icons, candle, prayer book, Bible, my prayer rope and Anglican rosary. The plan is to say the daily office here.

12. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have a desk in my room that I used to use for my computer. Since relocating that downstairs, I used it for storage and about 3 years ago I finally converted it into a "home altar". Its fairly simple. There is a large metal crucifix, a couple of icons, my Book of Common Prayer and King James Bible and one or two religious nicknacks I've picked up over the years. I'm particularly fond of my Prayer Book Society eraser which says "For undoing those things we ought not to have done." On the wall above the table are a few postcards of important churches I've visited,

13. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I too have a little corner with some figurines and icons and other aids to prayer and contemplation, next to my precious books.

14. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I've let be known that in event of a catastrophe ( May God forvend) the only things I value are my books and Harry my darling wee 12yrs old Shihtzu. Is it sacrilegious or weird to say I find the love of my wee pet almost a spiritual thing?

15. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Absolutely not. If I were to flee in the event of catastrophe, I'd take the dog and run, and leave my banknotes behind.

Regarding the OP; I have a corner in my bedroom with a statue of Our Lady, Queen of Ireland, with a statuette of St Anthony and St Patrick. Above my bed is a brass crucifix, which hung on the casket of my dear grandmother. On my desk, I keep Our Lady of Guadalupe and St Patrick as well. On the wall above my desk, I have an icon of the crucifixion and St Bridget's cross. On my reading chair I have the prayerbook, the Douai-Rheims bible, and various other prayerbooks of diverse flavours. My prayer beads are kept on a thumbtack on the wall to remind me to say the Rosary.

Aidan likes this.
  16. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Not a home altar per se but we do have a spot near our desk where we've put up a cross, a crucifix and my great-grandfather's rosary as well as a few candles.

17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Cameron , are you Irish ?

18. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    After some use I had to make some changes. Everything is gone. All that remains is a small stack of prayer books and my Bible. The ol' Particular Baptist / Calvinist leanings are strong and everything had to go.

:book:

19. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    :o

What about a good kneeler, at least?

20. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    I'm looking to have one made. The church I attend had one hidden in a corner so I asked if I could purchase it since it wasn't in use...they pulled it out and now it's in use again. lol At lease some good came of it.

jay