Free Kindle Books thread

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Thinkingaloud, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Thinkingaloud

Thinkingaloud New Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Wondering where this thread could be posted and thought it would fit here, using arts in the wider sense.

I've found there are quite a few free kindle books available - which is great when one is trying to study on a budget - and thought we could share any we find on this thread.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Abortion-R...16&sr=8-1&keywords=Abortion+kindle+r+c+sproul

I have recently discovered "Abortion: A rational look at an emotional issue" by R C Sproul which helpfully sets out clearly and concisely the pro-life viewpoint

https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-St...UTF8&qid=1501245528&sr=1-1&keywords=esv+bible

It's good that the ESV provides a free kindle version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Worship-Ch...ywords=The+worship+of+the+church+James+asbury

Just found this one today. Haven't yet read it but it seems to give short descriptions and meanings for symbols and liturgies in churches

2. Thinkingaloud

Thinkingaloud New Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Christina likes this.
  3. outlawState

outlawState New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Christian
    Nearly all books whose copyright has expired and are stored complete by Google or archive.org, which is now a truly vast selection, can be downloaded in kindle or epub format. Epub can be converted to kindle free of charge by utilities.

4. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    Unfortunately, Archive.org is starting to restrict access with some sort of strange scheme where you have to 'borrow' a digital book instead of being able to download it.

Also, Wipf and Stock, publishers whom I personally find unscrupulous, are reprinting facsimiles of out-of-copyright books on Google and Archive which in turn (somehow) removes them from the public domain.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My understanding is - limited I admit - that if you reprint an original public domain work - your copyright will reference the things that are specific to that publication, so if it is a new translation of an original work, then to that translation, if it contains specific illustrations notes and comments, then to those illustrations notes or comments, if there is a particular typeset and paragraph forming then to those issues, but the text (ie the actual words) of the original public domain work remain in the public domain.

So we find in some of our modern hymn books now translations and copyright attaching to the new translation. So the original work Good Christian Men Rejoice ... may well be in the public domain, but a publisher may proclaim a copyright to a rendition Good Christians all rejoice ... Personally I am not convinced that neutering hymns should give you a new copyright as it does not really reflect a new work as such, which is a different question as to why we would or would not do it, which is not a topic I want to discuss.

outlawState and Rhys like this.