Pop-culture Anglican converts

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Aidan, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I was astounded to read that Ozzy, lead singer of Black Sabbath, joined C of E in 1992! Any other Anglican celebs, unlikely Anglicans?

2. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    Wow! That does sound unlikely! Very surprising.

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    O yes, he's quite open about his Christianity

5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Ini Kopuria, was a twentieth century policeman on Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands. He was Anglican and formed an organisation of men to evangelise other natives. He's included in Anglican Calender of Saints. How are Anglican Saints decided upon?

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Perhaps the ol' nutso has found religion and repentance in his old age.
    :pray2:

alphaomega likes this.
  7. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    The flesh of Christ is certainly a better meal than the flesh of bats.

Aidan and Shane R like this.
  8. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Jesus died for Ozzy too.

Aidan likes this.
  9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Alice Cooper is also a Christian!

I use to know of a couple of other metal or heavy rockers who are Christian. I think one of the Metallica bandmembers is also
    Christian.

Ozzy is very hard to understand.........slurred speech and mumbles. If you read the lyrics to many of his songs you could be very surprised.
    Suicide Solution is actually a song that is about depression and how suicide in no solution. But his song titles and art work and tattoos and crazed look turn people off. Like Alice Coopers look. One of his songs, Hey Stupid, is about not have pre-marital sex.

Oh and AC-DC, the brothers are good Roman Catholic Boys.

I was a head banger in my youth!

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Aidan and alphaomega like this.
  10. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah a lot of Ozzy's music had good meaning, even "Crazy Train "is about choosing love not hate. Mustaine of MegaDeath is a Christian too. Alice Cooper helped bring him to the faith. Dave Hope of Kansas became an Anglican priest, quite a few of Kansas songs had a lot of Christian meaning to them. Yeah, I've listened to my share of rock in my time, lol.

Aidan likes this.
  11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Mark, old head bangers never die, we just lose our hair!!!

alphaomega likes this.
  12. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    I met Fr. Dave, he is a curate in Destin, Florida. But sadly not an Orthodox type of priest. Pro WO and very shallow theologically. He admitted to me that most of the songs Kansas wrote.....they were in a haze of some substance or another or both. Really hard to read him, but a personable guy.

Aidan,

Yes the thinning hair and the ability to bang is severely reduced. I have a funny story.

A few years ago, my oldest son (now 21 years old and a senior in College) and his friends wanted to go to a Christian Rock concert in a city over an hour away. He was 15 at the time. The parents nominated me to go with them, as one mother said "it will be good to have a priest with them, and Father has plenty of time on his hands." No she was not in my parish.

So off we go. 10 teenagers 14-16 years old, boys and girls. On the way in the van, I played the oldest man music I could find to drive the kids nuts.
    We get there. Huge evangelical event. Everyone looking at the "catholic priest with all these kids." I did not have time to change, so I was still in my clericals. Had a few exchanges with Baptists who wanted to save our souls. One had a King James Bible. I told them, since we Anglicans wrote it we probably know what it means better than you.

I sat through some very poor bands. The evangelical "missionary" that gave such a horrible account of the Gospel I almost stood up to "get saved" if he would just stop. Had to go through the youth ministers running around saving people and the usual (I know you paid $15 each to get in, but a love offering....). I was about to say "Done, let's go!" when the next band came out. The kids said I would hate them.

Skillet. Hard Rockers!! Ok the feet were now tapping to the beat. But I was strong and resisted. Next a band called Red. I watched the kids trying to head bang. It was sad. I was weak. The inner head banger came out. They were shocked at first, they enjoyed it. I did not have the long hair, was a fair bit heavier.....still had it. The Anglicans rocking at the evangelical concert. As we were leaving, one of the evangelical kids made a positive comment about the dancing priest. My son proudly announced, "He is my Father." He clarified..."no my Dad!" The look on the kids (baptist) face was priceless.

The next morning, my body came to collect on the check my inner banger had written the night before! It bounced. My wife of course was full of sympathy like all wives when husbands do something they probably should not have done. Lucky my neck loosen up by Sunday.

The kids, now adults, still talk about it.

As I write this, listening to Ozzie. Yes some of the older folks at the parish give me looks.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

13. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Great story Mark. Any more? I suppose the "saved" persons reaction to a priest being a dad would be quite typical, I guess that many in our overseas colonies , the Americas, wouldn't be familiar with Anglo Catholics

14. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah, Skillet is a pretty hard rocking CR band. Surprisingly, For King and Country is an extremely rocking live band.
    Listening to Ozzie,... I hear you. I'm a big ole 'Sabbath head from way back, really liked the first 3 albums esp. Master of Reality &Paranoid. Letting my old man rock&roll roots show!lol

Aidan likes this.
  15. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Today I learned that Andrea Jaegar, former world no2 female tennis is now an Anglican Dominican Nun!

alphaomega likes this.
  16. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Who's that :o

17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion: