Outgrowing McChurch

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Shane R, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A girl I work with, 21 years old, decided to unload her discontent with her church to me today. She attends a very generic American Evangelical church with about 100 ASA. They have the band and all that, but even a casual look at them tells you they are dying on the vine. The pastor is an ignorant hick and a bit of an emperor in his little flock (no pants for women and so on.)

Anyhow, her inclination is to attend the American Evangelical McChurch that all of her college friends go to. I see an opening and wish to challenge and invite her to consider Anglicanism. Now, my wife was raised quite similarly to her, and I asked her today how to approach this situation. She said you just have to throw them into the liturgy and hopefully they see something they like.

Laura S. and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    At my first attendance at the Tridentine Mass I instantly fell in love with it

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. ACC congregant

ACC congregant Member

USA
    Tell her the Church is 2000 years old and see the reaction and then go from there. Millenials are yearning for something more to hold onto.

Aidan, Lowly Layman and Shane R like this.
  4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Invite her to your parish. Tell her your parish is not a passing fade, it seeks to change the world. To be something bigger than the individual.
    show her the depth and richness of the faith once delivered. The faith of the ages....not the attempt to look like the world.
    Talk and invite.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Lowly Layman and Shane R like this.