Seeing much Liberalism in our South African seminary... Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by zimkhitha, Oct 2, 2016.

1. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I found myself wondering today whether liberalism is something that instilled in seminaries. I find the younger priests here in South Africa to be quite liberal, while their older counter parts (trained at the same college) are conservative about matters of the faith. The only explanation I could come out with is that the seminary itself is being used to ensure that it produces a certain caliber of priest, a caliber that reflects the state of the church at any given moment.

If indeed this is the case, that our only Southern African seminary (College Of the Transfiguration) has gone liberal, then it is only a matter of time before we get Episcopal Church 2 (the sequel). Even on the latest provincial synod outcome on sexuality - the motion gained more support from the priests and less from the Bishops (who, naturally are an older generation).

Could it be a fair assessment to assume that short of a miracle, the worst is yet to come?

anglican74 likes this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

YES!

anglican74 and zimkhitha like this.
  3. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Then, Lord save us all! I keep telling myself that maybe these things won't happen in my lifetime - therefore will not find myself changing Communions (on the other hand, we may be letting a liberal environment nurture our kids).

anglican74 likes this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Z where do we go? Where CAN we go? I can't think of one major denomination that is not stuck in the same problem. Plus, changing communions means having to accept new dogmas and doctrines. Some you may not believe or worse believe to be wrong. LORD save us!

Ide, Madeline and anglican74 like this.
  5. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I wouldn't forgive myself Lowly Layman if my kids, at my age turn out to be liberals. I'd wonder if my remaining in such an environment has contributed. I'm a firm believer in the faith of the undivided and primitive church- wherever that faith is practiced (as best as it can be ) would be a likely home for me. Liberal churches will not remain forever. Liberalism is forcing those who hold to the true faith to become more vocal and do great in converting others. I used to border on liberalism too (not consciously but through coercion by my church). This group helped me turn from that. Maybe the one, holy catholic and apostolic church of the future will look different - instead of cathedrals it may spot smaller groups in house churches, scattered all over the world. Wherever it will be, that is where I want to be.

Aidan and anglican74 like this.
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    While your analysis is correct that it always stems from the seminaries -- "what is whispered in the seminaries will be shouted from the pulpits" -- take courage from the fact that we are a worldwide church and therefore no Privince is truly alone.

In the past it was the Episcopal Church which used to export their heresies through gigantic paychecks; that will be no more. I hadn't seen many "Episcopalian" motions win in the Anglican world once they consecrated Gene Robinson in 2003 and the ACNA was formed in 2008. The Anglican world has beeen too shocked by where this leads and the Global South which constitutes the far majority of the worldwide Communion has been fighting and reversing TEC's influence in the world.

There is still a chance that the Church of South Africa could go heretical but it gets smaller and smaller by the day as the Global South gets stronger and the heretical Provinces dwindle and diminish in their adherents and influence. God doesn't leave his Church.

7. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think it might be online in the not too distant future.

zimkhitha likes this.
  8. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

I agree. The only place I could go is the direction of the Eastern Orthodox church. But they too have their own problems and I don't have the wherewithal to navigate adopting another culture.

What a lot of religious liberals don't see is that they are pathing the destruction of their own doctrines. If you keep saying "none of this is really true, it really didn't happen, we can change what we want." Guess what?! People will start to agree and stop supporting your institution and focus their attention elsewhere. Like sleeping on Sunday morning. They will put themselves out of business; this is already happening in the U.S.

9. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    South Africa's main buddy is the Episcopal church. The other African provinces have not much relations with us.