Comforting Paintings of the Lord

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Toma, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Friends,

Sometimes anxiety, depression, sorrow, and even despair can overcome our Christian lives.

Does anyone have art which reminds you personally of Matthew 11:28, and the rest & peace promised unto mankind by His Majesty? "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Please don't be afraid to contribute anything that strengthens your soul.

These paintings give me peace and comfort in my soul, knowing that God became exactly like me in all but sin. He is a man, and the greatest man to ever live, for He is the fulfillment of God's image.

First of all, my favourite - a depiction of silence: the ALTAR PIECE of the evangelical church in Bokor, Hungary

[​IMG]

CHRIST THE CONSOLATOR by Heinrich Bloch (1834-1890)

[​IMG]

JESUS GOES IN THE EVENING TO BETHANY by James Tissot (1836-1902)

[​IMG]

HE HEALS THE LAME by Tissot

[​IMG]

A CELEBRATION OF THE LORD's SUPPER in UTRECHT by Johannes Bosboom (1817-1891)

[​IMG]

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I have a large Victorian print of W.C.T. Dobson's 'Good Shepherd' which belonged to my Grandmother. She played an important part in guiding me in the faith and instilling in me her love of God and the Church. The picture was passed down to me when she died and so has significant meaning for me in several ways.

[​IMG]

3. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Symphorian, that's honestly perfect: exactly what was needed, both for the personal nature of it and for its comforting beauty.

The Baroque may be my favourite style, but it so often depicts our Incarnate God as a muscular, mythical giant who bears more resemblance to pagan sculpture than to human reality. Your sort of Romantic image, "up-close and personal", is just the thing. :)

The Good Shepherd may be one of the most comforting metaphors the Lord Jesus used to describe Himself. Here is one of my favourites:

Philippe de Champaigne's GOOD SHEPHERD - look at his calm confidence and strength, where we are so frail and faltering!

[​IMG]

Scottish Monk likes this.
  4. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I've always had a great love for Baroque music but my appreciation doesn't generally cross over into Baroque art for some reason.
    In church we have a copy of Bartolomé Esteban Murillo's Las Dos Trinidades. I'm afraid I can't muster much enthusiasm for it!

[​IMG]

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  5. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Jesus isn't exactly comforting in His aspect as a powerless, weak, effeminate little child - but then again, He came to us in that fashion. Regardless, it's not the sort of stuff that inspires you once you've seen the great personal images of the Lord of lords staring you down with a great, inexplicable, holy love of strength and manliness.

Also, the Baroque tends to depict God the Father, which is blasphemous to say the least - not to mention inaccurate!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  6. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Nice painting Symphorian, the parable of the good shepherd is my favourite and I like looking at paintings of this story.

[​IMG]

I'm not massively into icons but I like this one a lot. I like how the lamb is securely locked round Christ's neck - with Christ portrayed kind but firm. There's a strength in the painting

7. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Scottish Knight, if you like the Good Shepherd, you'll enjoy the symbolism in this Greek icon.

The stern yet calm and loving Christ is depicted in absolutely majestic, Cosmos-ruling virtue and poise.

The bottom-left shows the Shepherd counting His sheep, and one lost sheep going into the distance.
    The top-left shows the Shepherd risking Himself to gather His lost sheep by hanging off an unstable looking rock. Very Calvinist!
    The top-right shows the Risen Shepherd rising from the tomb and taking His sheep with Him into the light. Very Calvinist too! :p
    The bottom-right shows the true Lamb of God seated in His proper place, in glory.

[​IMG]

CWJ, Seeker, Scottish Monk and 2 others like this.
  8. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes! Thanks consular, really interesting! If I ever see a copy of that I'll be very much tempted to get it :D

I think the Eastern churches have, dare I say it, a similar emphasis on the sovereignty and majesty of God as calvinists. I admire a lot of their art

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  9. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    [​IMG]

A painting of Jesus that I picked up in 1969 in Southern California. I am sorry, but I do not know the artist or date of the painting. The art was mounted on wood.

...Scottish Monk
    \

neminem, Scottish Knight and Toma like this.
  10. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    He's so confident! It picks my soul up the moment I see it. No need to apologise! :D

11. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    great pics thanks everyone.

Toma likes this.
  12. Seeker

Seeker Member

I searched a lot to find the painting I want but in vain but I found another version of the same idea:
    [​IMG]

Jesus and John the Beloved disciple. It reminds me that I am a very beloved disciple too and I can rest on Him anytime! St. John must be jealous he has to share hehe.

Scottish Knight and Toma like this.
  13. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    :) That's beautiful, Seeker! We don't focus enough on that rest-upon-the-Saviour's-breast. To think that GOD Almighty, about whom we can say nothing - for if we say He is great, He is greater than that; if we say He is good, He is better than that - to think that He became one of us, and yet as one of us declared eternal divine LOVE unto the worst of us for all eternity, is immense beyond contemplation.

Seeker likes this.
  14. CWJ

CWJ Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    One of my favorites is the The Good Shepherd by Bernhard Plockhorst.
    I have a very small print of it that I cut out and glued onto a little cardboard and laminated. I tend to take it with me as a reminder that He is indeed the Shepherd of my soul. A very warm and compassionate God who does indeed care about all of us.

[​IMG]

alphaomega likes this.
  15. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Our window above the altar at church has The Good Shepherd, and often when I pray I look at it. These images seem so relevant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alphaomega and CWJ like this.
  16. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
  17. Madeline

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
  18. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    The website was down this morning, I couldn't get on it myself. It seems to be working again now. Try this link:
    http://www.wellsprings.org.uk/rublevs_icon/trinity.htm
    If it doesn't work, let me know and I will describe what it's about.

CWJ likes this.
  19. Madeline

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's working now. Thanks for reposting - this is worth knowing :)

Christina and CWJ like this.
  20. CWJ

CWJ Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yeah thanks for sharing that Christina...very interesting symbolism.
    I remember seeing that icon in an art book a while back.

Christina likes this.