Objectivity

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Celtic1, May 13, 2015.

1. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Is this a true, objective discussion forum where all views may be presented, or it a biased forum where only the party line -- denominational or otherwise -- may be presented and defended. If the latter, I have no place here and will not stay, even though I am affiliated with the AMiA.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

All views may certainly not be presented as Anglican. Only Anglican views may be represented as Anglican, namely as taught in Scripture, the testimony of the Fathers, and in particular the Oath of Subscription which ties Anglican orthodoxy to the Articles of Religion and the 1662 Prayerbook.

Please see the Forums Reformation, Advent 2014:
    http://forums.anglican.net/threads/anglican-forums-reformation-advent-2014.1257/

As well as correlative discussion of the Advent Reformation by our forum members:
    http://forums.anglican.net/threads/forums-reformation-discussion.1263/

highchurchman likes this.
  3. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I just want to state before I am banned that I am a clergy Associate Member of the AMiA. To those who do not know it, one has to be at least a bishop to be such a Member. I am also a member of the American Anglican Council. As such, I have a loyalty to Anglicanism. I have many posts here that prove what I am saying. However, I also have a loyalty to the facts, which know no denominational or party boundary. If facts cannot be presented here without being accused of "sliming Anglicanism", as I have been accused of, then this is not a place conducive to honest and fruitful discussion. No denomination or body of Christians is free from mistakes, error, or wrongdoing, whether past or present. To gloss over past history and to make misleading or false statements about it is simply wrong, especially on a Christian forum. If objective facts cannot be stated, this forum has no useful purpose. It will have degenerated into a mere agent of propaganda.

I would hope that I could stay here. Regardless, I will remain loyal to Anglicanism, but I will not succumb to the mentality of a cultist or a propagandist.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Celtic1, perhaps there is more going on here than is evident from the posts, but from what I've read, I don't believe Phoenix said you can't question Anglican doctrines or practices or even engage in debate, even vigorous (but respectful) debate. That goes on here quite a bit. However, rather moderate, in my opinion, ground rules have been laid by the forum owners in order to protect the integrity of this website's mission and the dignity of classical Anglican positions. One of those ways is to identify as "Anglican" those individual posters who subscribe to certain minimally required historic Anglican authorities (the Holy Formulas, ie, the Articles, the Prayerbook (1662), and the Ordinal). This does not mean to imply that those who cannot, in good conscience, sign on to the oath are not Anglican or as Anglican as others here. I'm sure you and the Forum owners can agree that no website has the power to do that. It only means those who don't sign on do not satisfy the threshold requirements to get the special status and privileges that forum members who do sign on receive.

One thing that is not and, as far as I know, never has been tolerated on the forums is the deliberate disrespecting, attacking, mocking, insulting, or degrading of Anglican dogmas, practices, or key figures. Also, you cannot bully or personally attack other forum members. I see nothing wrong with that and even if I did, I would nevertheless respect the house rules as a guest here.

I think you raise an important question about the purpose of this forum. Is this supposed to be an objective forum where the owners and moderators celebrate all views equally and do not engage in content based regulation or censorship? Or is it a privately funded and maintained online ministry that seeks to make classical Anglican resources and ideas accessible to modern seekers where the forum owners, at their discretion, may not tolerate posts or members which detract from that goal? I think the answer is unequivocally the latter. I don't think anyone here has ever represented this place as objective in that sense. One might not agree with that position, but the forum owners are under no obligation to change. This is their forum after all. I am reminded of the words of Our Lord in his parable of the vineyard workers, "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own?"

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    highchurchman likes this.
  5. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Thank you for your post.

I have no problem with agreeing with what you have said. But you are right: There is more going on here than is evident from the posts. I passionately deny that I have done some things I have been charged with. My intention has never been to attack Anglicanism. I am simply interested in stating facts. When I see facts distorted, I attempt to correct that, or question it.

Why would I attack a Body that I am a part of, for God's sake!? And a clergy member of, too, I might add. I know, not a full member, but a member nevertheless. The AMiA has accepted me, and I had to affirm adherence to their founding documents. I could not do so if I did not agree with them. My conscience would not allow that.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

This accords very well with the policies we have been pursuing.

Correct.

As for this it is correct also, with the caveat that since the Anglican position is true, advancing it is indeed advancing an objective truth. We all, everyone who is here and has subscribed under the name of "Anglican" believe that Anglicanism is fully true, the Church of the Apostles, Prophets and the Fathers of the early Church. This makes the Anglican position objectively true. Inquiries, discussions and questions on Anglican doctrines are allowed and welcomed. Detractions, however, are not. Likewise questions about the holy Anglican divines are sought after and welcomed -- detractions are not. It is a simple rule. This is a home for those who love the Church and love the Christian faith as taught in the Apostles, Fathers and Divines.

highchurchman and Lowly Layman like this.
  7. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Which I do, but apparently you think I do not.