Forums Reformation Discussion

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by seagull, Dec 8, 2014.

1. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Having been banned for six months for promoting the mainstream Anglicanism of the Church of England under Archbishop Welby, I found this rather disturbing and I am not sure if is "official" or not. For the record, like most members of the CofE, I am in favour of women priests and bishops, but against (practising) gay clergy and against gay marriage.

If my support for women clergy/bishops means that I am perceived here to be "in error" and disbarred from promoting this, please let me know and I will move elsewhere.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Correct, promotion of women's ordination is no longer permitted.

3. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Then you have problems, since the Archbishop of Canterbury, about whom "there shall be no derogatory or disrespectful comments" supports the ordination of women and women bishops, as does the Church of England, about which "there shall be no derogatory comments".

Ogygopsis likes this.
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

This site does not exist to protect any one Archbishop or Particular Church, even if she is a Mother, but only insofar as he and she are free from grievous heresy, which, being fallible it is always possible for him to commit.

In such an event it becomes a duty of every watchful Christian to denounce and request the Archbishop to return to the submission unto God and to the contents of the Anglican and Christian Faith.

Andy, alphaomega and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I last posted here in October 2013. I withdrew from active participation due to the uncharitable and disrespectful comments toward fellow Christians of other traditions (http://forums.anglican.net/threads/charity-toward-other-christian-faith-practices.956/). I have continued to silently sneak back in from time-to-time to peek to see if things have changed. Reading these changes affirms my decision of over one year ago. I shake the dust from my sandals and now take my permanent leave from you. I can accept the forum's position on ordination of women and gays. I can't accept its intolerance and suppression of differing opinions. May God bless you all.

6. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    God bless this forum for providing a sanctuary to those who still subscribe to the ancient, true, catholic faith. We orthodox few are battle weary from standing against idolaters of "progress." Most places we go, whether virtual or actual, we are unwelcome. Here we can have rest from the grievous, abhorent heresies.

I pray that here we can gather the strength of an Athanasius--so that even if isolated and alone, we may prevail against a church overrun with a mainstream of heretics.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    alphaomega and Lowly Layman like this.
  7. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I don't know about others but its been a personal frustration of mine that this forum hadn't exhibited a strict adherence to orthodoxy which I live with in my slice of the world. If you folks are willing to stand for the truth like the saints of our faith did, then maybe I will participate here more in the future.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I like Seagull may also move somewhere. I find this forum increasingly restrictive. Surely one of the good things about Anglicanism is we can thumb our noses at other denominations and say we tolerate and accept a wide range of views. But alas we are not allowed to promote women priests, which I take to mean something like " I support women priest because the bible says...."
    I also joined here because there was a sub forum that included apologetics. But you are not allowed to say "scripture may be wrong because of (insert reason) ". These questions can be asked respectfully and I would have thought the proper reply would be along the lines of "We see what you mean but you are mistaken because of (some well reasoned arguement)"
    I even tried to give an account of John the Baptist's relationship with Jesus that may not be "mainstream" , my arguements were backed up with scriptural references , but even this was censored. I was then going to give an interesting and little known bit of bible info that suggested that John knew Jesus earlier than the baptism episode and that he (John) was aquainted with the Qumran community.
    P.M. me if you're curious.

9. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Would Athanasius accept Arians using Catholic facilities to promote Aryan doctrines, or S.Augustine to promote the heresy of his time Donatism ? Augustine wouldn't even allow them their own churches he got the State to confiscate them.

Andy, Lowly Layman, Peteprint and 2 others like this.
  10. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I understand the concerns of some regarding the forum changes, yet the way many churches in the Anglican Communion have evolved in recent decades has compelled Anglicans of a traditional bent to take a stand. The following website is typical of many in the Episcopal Church today:

http://holytrinitychurch.org/what-we-believe/

While it may be true that Anglicanism is a big tent, and has allowed for low, broad, and high Church expressions, surely no one believes that Cranmer, Hooker, Jewel, Laud, Cosin, C.S. Lewis, etc., would have agreed with the following from that site:

“There are no requirements that a layperson believes a particular doctrine to become an Episcopalian. It has been said, You can believe pretty much anything you want, so long as you enjoy going to services together with us.”

When the faith becomes that diluted, what is the point of having a Church?

11. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Think ye are men ; deem it not impossible for you to err. Isn't that the Anglican way?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
  12. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

i was taught by my parents that it is a most basic point of courtesy and obligation to God to respect the rules of the house, whether as a son under my father's house, or as a guest at somebody else's house; if i didn't agree with the rules and could not abide by them, humility and charity demand that i quietly leave. i accept this teaching.

it is my duty to God to render respect to your house, admin, by abiding by your rules. moreover, it is also my most proper duty to God to not enter your house and object publicly to the rules you have established.

all that being said, i appreciate your courage to stand on principle against many, and while brand-spanking new to anglicanism, i agree with what you list as grave errors. i will most certainly be staying.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

It is especially because men are fallible that it is misguided to shield or protect men, solely because they are men (even when they are Archbishops), when they do not profess the Holy Gospel or honor the Anglican tradition.

14. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Gosh I tried to put a "like" to Onlookers last post which mentioned censorship, but an error came up. Now I know why, it has disapeared. Why are some Christians so frightened of others opinions. Is it because they know they can't put up good arguements to oppose them?

15. Phoenix

The deleted posts were highly disrespectful exhibiting the kind of attitude that simply won't be tolerated any longer. Other criticisms such as those you see above are there to be read. Put more broadly you may voice disapproval, but the past chaos and sad history on these forums, and the abominable history, divisions and heresies in the church of recent history, out of a lack of enforced discipline, mandate that we once again enforce our laws, and contend and suffer mightily for the faith.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  16. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

Understood. Surprised. You own the forum. You shall do what you will.

It is obvious that I cannot remain in these forums, because I would, out of conscience, not toe the line you are drawing, and would post things you would deem wrong, such as in this thread here.

Is this post over your line? I think it is given your definition. I promoted within the ordination of women within RCism with reference to our, in my view, good example as Anglicans. I shall post no more about it, nor at all in these forums if thou wouldst hold to this.

The ranking of Anglicans by badging them in your forum brings up rather unpleasant associations additionally.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  17. Phoenix

Dear member Ogygopsis, you are right that did go over the line, and thank you for that manner of raising and clarifying the issue. Normally these issues would be handled in Moderation but it has its place here to show the amicable manner in which these points can be sorted out.

It is only meant to protect orthodoxy in the same manner that the historic Church of England has always historically protected orthodoxy. The details will be laid out shortly when the Badges are announced.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  18. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    I agree with Peteprint. Having said that , twice I have been given the word
    There are no requirements that a layperson believes a particular doctrine to become an Episcopalian. It has been said, You can believe pretty much anything you want, so long as you enjoy going to services together with us.”
    What made me leave the Church of England was the comment of an earlier Bishop of Leicester after a comment about Women's Ordination!
    " Well we had a free vote on it." That is what things have come to, a vote on Christ's Revelation and teaching!"

19. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hm. This whole thing can go either well or badly, depending on the implementation. I wish you all a good outcome obviously.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  20. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Good point Stalwart. for my part, i have found the forum leadership immensely tolerant of the various aspects of the broad orthodoxy that is Traditional Anglicanism. I hope that, as applied, this will be a good thing for the forums and for us all.

Stalwart likes this.