Marian Apparitions

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by BrethrenBoy, Jul 9, 2013.

1. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    Do Anglicans have claims of or believe in any Marian Apparitions, such as the Catholic Church has and believes?

2. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    I do not think so, but we do have Our Lady of Walsingham, and Our Lady of Knock, both are traditional Marian Apparitions of the Anglican Faith, at least historically. :) They are really private devotions and private revelations, to the believing and disbelieving of the individual.

Archbishop Emeritus of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, did establish an Anglican Marian shrine in Lourdes. Of course, his grace is also an Anglo-Catholic!

Lorrie S likes this.
  3. Cable

Cable New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I did not know about Knock. Interesting! Walsingham is the only one that I'd heard of. I'm not aware of any apparitions that are exclusive to Anglicans in North America. Like Lux Christi said, it's definitely a matter of private devotion. I've heard of some Anglicans who believe in some of the Catholic apparitions (usually the pre-Fatima ones). I don't really take an opinion on them. I guess they're just not my area of expertise. :D

4. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    I thought Knock was a Catholic apparition, but OK. Does anyone have pictures of the Anglican Lourdes shrine? I looked a little online, but all I couldn't find anything about it.

5. Lux Christi

Canada
    Religion:
    Our Lady of Knock is just a Christian apparition, because remember that the Anglican-Catholic distinction wasn't there back then. Before, everyone was just part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, until the Anglican Church changed its jurisdiction from the Bishop of Rome, to the local Bishop (the Archbishop of Canterbury).

You can type 'Anglican Lourdes' and get a few images. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry about the information though... I guess my only source for having established an Anglican shrine in Lourdes is from Wikipedia under the article of 'Marian apparition'.

I have to say though... Our Lady of Walsingham is absolutely Anglican, and she is probably the Patroness of Anglo-Catholic patrimony. Even a broad-low parish like St. Paul's Anglican, Vancouver BC, has a statue and painted icon of Our Lady of Walsingham! If there is any Marian apparition of which Anglicans can agree upon and devote themselves to, it's Walsingham. :)

Lorrie S likes this.
  6. Lux Christi

Canada
    Religion:
    Here are some Anglican Collects for the Marian Apparitions, as found in the Anglican Gradual and Sacramentary! There are many Marian themed prayers in the Anglican tradition as well.

OUR LADY OF WALSINGHAM

O GOD, who through the mystery of the Word made flesh didst in thy mercy sanctify the house of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and wondrously place it in the bosom of thy Church: Grant that we, being set apart from the tabernacles of sin, may become worthy to dwell in thy holy house; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

OUR LADY OF LOURDES

O GOD, who in the Blessed Virgin Mary didst consecrate a dwelling-place meet for thy Son: We humbly pray that we, observing the appearing of the same Blessed Virgin, may obtain thy healing both in body and soul; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL

O GOD our Father, who didst adorn the Order of Mount Carmel with the special title of the most Blessed Mother of thy Son, the Ever-Virgin Mary: Mercifully grant that as we remember her in our solemn observance, so by her intercession we may attain to everlasting joy; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE

ALMIGHTY and Merciful God, who didst bless the Americas at Tepeyac with the presence of the Virgin Mary of Guadalupe: Grant, we beseech thee, that by her intercession all men and women may come to accept one another as brothers and sisters, so that, being guided by thy righteousness in our hearts, we may know thy peace reigning in the world; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

OUR LADY OF SORROWS

O GOD, who didst will that in the passion of thy Son a sword of grief should pierce the soul of the Blessed Virgin Mary his Mother: Mercifully grant that thy Church, having shared with her in his passion, may be made worthy to share in the joys of his resurrection; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Kammi likes this.
  7. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I got into an on-line discussion with a RC about this. At first he was a bit defensive, thinking (wrongly) that I had come to sneer. But he relaxed after a bit, and when I asked him if he himself had ever had an apparition he replied, "yes, once, and oddly enough it was at the Anglican shrine at Walsingham".

I have an open mind on the subject.

Kammi, Lorrie S and Lux Christi like this.
  8. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    When I told people I was leaving the RC church they told me that I'd be leaving my mother behind. So glad to see that is not true. I will check into the Walsingham apparition as I've never heard of that.

seagull and Kammi like this.
  9. SirPalomides

SirPalomides Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    In 1879? If you say so!

10. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    What the official Anglican thoughts are regarding the Lady Mary stems from `Scripture and the Councils. I.E. That Mary is the Theotokos, i.e. Mother of God! That she is All Holy, Ever Virgin and Immaculate.

11. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    According to my literature from the Church of Ireland, which, unlike the ACC is an official part of the Anglican Communion, "Mary's special position....as 'God Bearer' (theotokos) is recognised", but not the Immaculate Conception or her Assumption.

12. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    I didn't mention either the Immaculate Conception or the Assumption!
    But according to the Fathers of the Later Reformation, Mary was considered to be cleansed of all sin after the Birth of Christ! I think this is the view of the Orthodox Church as well.
    As for the Assumption of Mary, unless I'm mistaken this was in The Elizabethan (Latin, (Prayer Book. App.1560.)
    What I did say is that the Anglican Church recognises the Seven Ecumenical Councils and in these the Lady Mary is proclaimed or affirmed ,All Holy, Immaculate and Ever Virgin!

MatthewOlson likes this.
  13. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Dear Highchurchman,

Yes, many Orthodox (myself included) believe that the Theotokos was purified at the Annunciation. Of course this is not dogmatic, and some Orthodox hold other views but this, in my experience, is the most common. Of course we also believe in her assumption to heaven at the time of her falling asleep, and we reject out of hand the RC dogma of the immaculate conception.

Interestingly, we do not have as many apparitions of the Theotokos, especially not of the type the RC claims at Lourdes, Fatima, etc.

Here is what I think is a great article that presents some of the problems the Orthodox have with the RC apparitions. You will note that Our Lady of Walsingham is mentioned favorably towards the beginning. By the way, the owner of this particular site is somewhat of a fringe Orthodox, so I take the articles he chooses to post with a grain of salt, but this one is very good, and of course, not written by him.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/marian_apparitions.aspx

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Severus likes this.
  14. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Two things!
    I'm glad you'r a member and look forward to reading your contributions.
    Secondly, We, (ACC.) have a party of pilgrims at Walsingham this week. Staying at the Anglican Shrine!

Peteprint likes this.
  15. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

Just one quibble, not about The Lady Mary, or Marianism
    But the Church in England was never under the Jurisdiction of Rome, though the the Bishop of Rome tried his best!
    When the break came it was the Roman Bishop who first refused communion, as it were with Henry, a personal matter between them.
    The break with England came in 1570 after the Trent condemnation of Catholics who were not under the aegis, or protection of the pope.

16. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    @ Lourdes

What do you think about it?

I do not think that Bernadette really saw Mary there.
    But obviously she saw something there.

What could it have been? What do you think?

17. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't think that just because she saw something, that something was there. In the history of the Roman church there is a tradition of extreme fasts (30+ days), which we know from medicine has an effect of producing hallucinations. If you're an atheist you will see some personage, perhaps your dead father; if you are Hindu you will see Ganeshu; if you are Roman Catholic you will see Jesus or Mary.

The mere fact that none of the Church Fathers had visions, or treated them seriously, is proof positive for us that the visions are not of God and should not be considered by the faithful of the Church.

Invictus likes this.
  18. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    The apparition happened in 1879. That is a long time after the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches split.

Even though this apparition goes back to 1061 which is a very long time before the Anglican Church came into being?

I think you can only claim Our Lady of Walsingham is Anglican if in this case 'Anglican' is used to mean English. Anglicans did not really get inolved with this devotion until Fr Hope Patten started to develop it in the 1920s.

I am not sure how you have determined these apparitions as being Anglican. I have certainly never heard of any Anglican devotion to Our Lady of Knock.

To be clear I am not opposed to Marian devotion but I am confused as to how you claim these particular Marian apparitions are Anglican.

I can find nothing in that Wikipedia article about an Anglican shrine at Lourdes. If you followed one of the many links in the article it would be most helpful if you could post a link to the actual Wikipedia page on which you read there was an Anglican shrine there.

Invictus likes this.
  19. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Have you read that Bernadette had been fasting?
    I do not think so.
    And please do not tell me that she was just mad.
    That would be too easy an explanation.

20. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

May I ask you how many really existing Roman Catholics you know personally?
    And how many of them do these extreme fasting?
    Methinks that Catholics are a kind of exotic creatures for you and completely different from normal English human beings.