Trying to find a conservative parish nearby. Any suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Brian Combs, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Brian Combs

Brian Combs New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Good evening all. I've been trying to find an Anglo-Catholic church home or even a home group near me, without success. The official continuing Anglican churches (like the ACC and ACA) are too far away from Southwest Missouri.
    I've been looking at the American Anglican Council (AAC) and how it unites conservative/traditional Episcopalians in the ECUSA. I'm wondering whether I should consider returning to the ECUSA and just trying to stay orthodox, even though I disagree with a lot of the changes they have made. I'm planning on seeking ordination, but I want to make the right decision. Any advice is appreciated.

Pax!

Brian

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I went from AMiA to PECUSA. I think it's the best option.

Brian Combs likes this.
  3. Peregine

Peregine New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    There is room in the Anglican Communion for diversity. What has created separation is the intolerance of the splinter groups, who cannot suffer to sit next to people who don't agree with them.
    Putting them on a balance, the AC is worldwide, has more resources, and if you're thinking of ordination, it will give you more chances to celebrate almost anywhere, practically every country in the world with religious freedom. That's one of the things that brought me to Anglicanism.

Lowly Layman and Brian Combs like this.
  4. Brian Combs

Brian Combs New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thanks Hackney and Peregine; I agree there is still diversity, and room for conservatives within the ECUSA. I'm going to sit down and chat with a local priest hopefully in the next few days.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Brian, I realize one must follow one's own conscience. However if all the traditional Anglicans interested in the priesthood shun the ECUSA, it is tantamount to surrendering the church to the liberals. Who will minister to the traditionalists? The ECUSA is a diverse church. I should hope you help keep it that way.

amazinglove and Brian Combs like this.
  6. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Indeed, and we have plenty of it. More a strength than a weakness. Even within the CofE there's considerable diversity.

I've been to Anglican churches all over the world, and only one felt "foreign". That was at the Cathedral in Singapore. It was very Evangelical, and the English used was so strongly accented that it was not easy to follow. But the Cathedral was completely full, as I gather it is every week.

Brian Combs likes this.
  7. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Brian, this topic has been brought up by several other people, and a few (including me) were seeking ordination in the ECUSA. I'll save you many megabytes of commentary and ask you a very pointed question. Do you really think you will be approved for ordination in any capacity with the recent events in South Carolina? Don't buy into the cover story from the Presiding Bishop of financial malfeasance, this was about conservatives and moderates refusing to acknowledge perverse and unscriptural practices within the church and her resulting punishment. Save yourself from months of strife and disappointment and seek out other churches that hold scripture sacred.

Jeff

8. Brian Combs

Brian Combs New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you SeeakingIAM and Jeff,

I met with a conservative ECUSA/TEC priest last week. His church is rather traditional, which I liked. I have a lot to think and pray about. I feel really torn, actually. On the one hand, I've had negative experiences with evangelicals, some of which don't even consider Episcopalians and Lutherans genuine Christians but lump us in with Roman Catholics (I think I'll save that for another thread). On the other, I don't accept the liberal trends of the ECUSA that contradict certain scriptures.

I only wish there was a biblical, liturgical apostolic church that was large enough that I could find a local home church. I've been considering the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod but I don't want to leave the Anglican tradition. Anyway, as I said I have a lot to pray about but i'm convinced God is calling me to ministry somewhere. God bless!

Stalwart likes this.
  9. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I had to smile at this. A Presbyterian I met called us "watered down catholics", and another, "catholic- lite"! Neither description offended me.

Lorrie S, Stalwart and Brian Combs like this.
  10. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I SOOO know this feeling

Stalwart and Brian Combs like this.
  11. Brian Combs

Brian Combs New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian

Yes, or as my brother-in-law calls me "Diet Catholic." But he's at least flippant about it. I had a guy tell me I would have eternity [in hell] to reconsider my Catholic beliefs (he thought I was Roman Catholic). I have witnessed others with the opinion that catholics don't have the Holy Spirit. I live in a very, very conservative part of the country. One girl near us converted to Roman Catholicism and had an evangelical try to "convert" her and openly question her motivations. I might as well be a Muslim living around here...but whatever. :)

Lorrie S, MatthewOlson and Stalwart like this.
  12. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    Brian Combs likes this.
  13. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Ah, I remember it well. It was a dinner in Nottingham in 1987. On my right was an ex-RC who had moved to Pentecostalism; on my left an ex-Baptist who had become RC. Both my ears were bent simultaneously. When I suggested that the two of them by-pass me and chat together they each agreed that that would be a bad idea. :rolleyes:

14. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Brian, how good is good enough? And, how bad is bad enough to walk away from? I suspect I have many years on you. I have moved from town to town and have worshipped in many different traditions in my lifetime. I believe there is a futility in your search. In my experience, the perfect church compatible with all of one's beliefs is as elusive as the unicorn. There are compromises to be made. The question is where do you draw the lines? And what are the differences from your own beliefs that you are willing to accept? Continuing best wishes on your discernment.

BrethrenBoy, I'm proud to say Bishop Little is confirmed me and is my Bishop.

Brian Combs and Stalwart like this.
  15. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    Really?! He'd be mine were I to become Episcopalian.

Brian Combs likes this.
  16. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Things will radically change for the Bishop when/if Indiana legalizes gay marriage. His protection from the PB currently is Indiana law, but if things change she will force him to either submit or be removed. Mark my words, this woman is a ravaging pit bull with a specific agenda. God bless him for his courage.

Jeff

historyb and Brian Combs like this.
  17. Brian Combs

Brian Combs New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian

I think you make a great point. There is sin in every denomination, of course. I began thinking about Jesus' words to the churches in Revelation. I guess I need to meditate on what he had to say, good and bad, about those churches.

I think the only hang-up I really have is the issue of homosexuality, because it seems so inescapable in the scriptures. Don't get me wrong, I think such persons should be loved and embraced. They should be met where they are at, I believe. But the question is...should they be left where they are at? Roman Catholicism says no. LCMS says no. Continuing Anglicans say no.

That's the question that remains in my mind. That said, I don't see how it does any good for all the conservatives to leave the Episcopal Church...leaving only theological liberals. In Congregationalist churches, there are pastors who hold a variety of theological views. Is this the way the Episcopal Church is going (to some extent), or does it just depend on the local bishop? Thanks for your best wishes, Peace!

The Hackney Hub and Stalwart like this.
  18. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Brian, I understand we all have "deal breakers," and the church's position on homosexuality may be a deal breaker for you. My deal breaker is a closed communion table which I believe is counter to the admonition that the Church should be one. Therefore, I have problems with your other two choices.

As for homosexuality, it is not my issue. I feel like I need to devote my energy to my own sins, not what may be some other fellow's. Still, all of us have our own discernment to do and our own path to follow. Continuing good wishes on finding your path.

seagull likes this.
  19. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's not my issue either, and I agree with your sentiments.

In England we have civil partnerships for same sex couples, but the Govt has just legalised gay marriages. There is no obligation on a church to conduct these, and the RCs most certainly won't. For some reason, the Govt also made it illegal for the CofE , the established Church, to conduct gay marriages. The Church in Wales, which is not the established Church there, is, by their own request, covered by this ruling. I think that our new Abp of Canterbury has also said, "no blessing of gay partnerships".

I know a lesbian couple who are active communicant churchgoers (CofE) and a male same sex couple where one is RC and the other CofE. Both receive communion in their own churches. That's not a problem for me, nor, it seems for the clergy. However, I might have a problem if the Vicar of my church suddenly announced that s/he was a practicing gay.

20. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

that seems a tad hypocritical...if you have no problem with homosexuals then why would you have homosexuals just because they wear collars?

Lorrie S likes this.