Do you pray the Anglican Rosary?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Anna Scott, Apr 9, 2012.

?

Do you pray the Anglican Rosary?

1. No: I don't believe in praying a Rosary.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No: Other reasons.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Yes: The Rosary is helpful to my prayer life.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Yes: Other reasons.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. I would consider praying the Anglican Rosary.

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  6. I would not consider praying the Anglican Rosary.

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Yep, and this nonsense is more reason to leave

2. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Your opinion only. I don't do Sola Scriptura, it is a detestable thing and as for the 39 we view them as a guide not rules. I am not in the ECUSA.

You said in a post above you don't know the history of us on that your right but it was silliness like this that ran people off. Big deal you don't like it we all get that your one of those calvinist that hates everything and can't stand anything then what you think is right but there is more to things than just your limited view. The Anglican Tradition holds more richness than your giving out there are Anglicans, Anglo-Catholics, and other low and high Church Anglicans. The Church isn't just made up of reformed types.

I proudly pray to the Saints and pray the Rosary both Marian and Anglican, if you don't like it to bad don't be preaching to me about things

3. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Then you proudly do something that God has manifestly forbidden. This is not my opinion, it's what the word of God says.

And, please, I don't hate everything. Your stereotypes are clouding your judgment.

edited for language
    -admin

Toma and Mercy like this.
  4. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    No they are your very misguided opinions and like I said I don't do Bible alone stuff

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    Jesus was also "hateful" when he rebuked the Pharisees and their cherished traditions that made void the word of God. The early Christians were also "hateful" when they refused to burn incense to the Emperor like every other citizen. The Reformers were also "hateful" when they prefered death over compromise with Rome.

Your notion of hate is very peculiar, historyb.

6. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    No, not at all. I can't stand people like you, who think they know every thing. It's pride that the calvinist doctrines put in one and make them more holier than thou, it is a devilish thing.

Robert likes this.
  7. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    I'm a terrible sinner, no doubt, but I don't think I know everything. In fact, I don't know everything, only God does.

But I know what He says in His word and it was on that basis alone that I rebuked those who pray to dead saints. It's of His word that you should take heed.

8. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    It's only your misinformed opinion. Ask saints to pray is very Biblical, but your prejudices refuse to see it. I am done, may God have mercy on your soul

9. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Bravo. I do wish people wouldn't be so sensitive about this. The beliefs are not the whole man.

Brother, at one point you refuse to conform to the category of "that bible alone stuff", but then you say your practice of praying to persons other than God is "very biblical". Please make up your mind so we can discuss this properly.

Anyway, which part of the Bible renders prayer-to-the-dead acceptable? We are all the saints, for one, and to limit "saints" to a group of people in Heaven is already out of step with the Scriptures. If you're going to cite the Apocrypha, don't waste your time because Old Christendom & I don't believe it's divine scripture.

All this comes down to the question: what is a prayer?

Old Christendom likes this.
  10. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sister in Christ, there are many forms people use upon the physical Anglican Rosary. The most common is the Trisagion form. Since it's a modern devotion, it tends to use modernist & modalist language for some prayers. I'll change them to the more traditional format:

The Cross
    In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

The Invitatory (one large bead where the first 3 "Hail Mary" beads of the traditional rosary usually are)
    O God make speed to save me,
    O Lord make haste to help me,
    Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

The Cruciforms (four large beads)
    Holy God,
    Holy and Mighty,
    Holy Immortal One,
    Have mercy upon me.

The Weeks (four groups of seven small beads each)
    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,
    Have mercy on me, a sinner.

Visual aid:
    [​IMG]

It's very meditative, judging by the prayers. They may be said quickly, but in reality should be said with love. Much better than the Roman rosary.

11. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    By the way, with regards to "charity" and not considering the feelings of others, I think the harsher posters among us take reference from Ezekiel 33:6

If the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Those with "hard words" are inspired by the example of the shofar-blowing watchman. I myself genuinely care how others pray because the soul is important... even if it isn't mine... :)

Old Christendom likes this.
  12. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Here is a website for that http://www.kingofpeace.org/prayerbeads/trisagion.htm :)

13. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Please don't call me that. Just because I use Scripture doesn't mean I am Sola Scriptura.

In Hebrews we have a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us. Christians are never dead, in Christ we are always alive so there are no prayers to the dead any where. Frankly I could care less what you or OC think or do.

edited for language
    -admin

Robert and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Indeed

Gordon and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    There is absolutely no idolatry in the Orthdodox Chruch. Perhaps you should work on removing the log in your own eye before attacking Christ's flock. It is truly amazing that you somehow see yourself as some kind of prophet calling Christians back to the "Real Christianity." Why exactly would anyone be moved by your rants? You have done nothing but bear false witness and bad fruit during your time on this forum. Did you not PM me less than a week ago telling that you felt drawn to leaving the Anglican Church and joining the Orthodox Church. Starting the next day and all this week you have attacked, besmirched, misrepresented, and lied about the Orthodox Church. So were you lying then to see if you could find any juicy details as to why I left the Orthodox Church (Praise God that I didn't have any to give) that you could use in your attacks? I must admit I do not see Christ in your actions. You were blocked by a large group of people before and you begged to unblocked citing that you changed. Unfortunately, I will never be able to believe anything you say again.

16. Mercy

Mercy Member

I see. This is the Christian way to interact with others:

This is "hateful":

17. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Maybe it is but after that stuff many of us put up with from people like him and many left over people like him, I become a little more hardened. They think the forum should only be one way and that Christianity should only be their way, that is the real hatefulness. Yes I have much against people like them because of what people like them did here in the past

Gordon likes this.
  18. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    historyb, the Dark Knight, and Robert:

What reward do you have if you are merciful only to those who have been merciful? The pagans & gentiles do as much.

If I have sinned and spoken hypocritically, you should be even more willing to forgive me - not to expose private conversations we have had, nor to take the doctrinal thread and make it personal. For all the ugliness of my sins, I have not attempted to say that any of you are liars, hypocrites, or necessarily idolaters; only that your devotions are not according to the Scriptures.

Have mercy on me, and do not be indignant. Do not let your hearts be hardened or troubled. There is no excuse for any of us.

Gordon and Pax_Christi like this.
  19. Mercy

Mercy Member

Gentlemen, Isn't the point of a forum to exchange ideas? Isn't it inevitable that in that process different posters will disagree on different issues, even virulently? But we have to distinguish between attacking beliefs and practices on the one hand and attacking persons on the other. I think that distinction is the very definition of charity. I for one would like to see vigorous debate of issues that are controversial for Christians today. I'd like to hear different positions expounded using arguments from Scripture and Tradition. There is no reason for such debates to become personal and emotional. In fact, they rather lose all value when they do.

20. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    You needed to be here back than to understand

Gordon likes this.